About hospital cover

As the name suggests, hospital insurance helps cover the cost of in-hospital treatment. Generally, it covers treatment in a private hospital for medically necessary treatment. Medicare covers 75% of the Medical Benefit Schedule (MBS) fee set by the Government for doctors’ charges and your insurance covers the remaining 25%. Note that there may be extra for you to pay if your doctor charges over the MBS and does not participate in the Access Gap Cover Scheme.

Hospital insurance also covers hospital charges such as accommodation, theatre fees, intensive care, cardiac care, industry approved prostheses and hospital medication in almost all private hospitals in Australia. 

Some hospital products don't cover all services, or only partially cover them so it's important to check what your cover includes before you sign up and before you seek treatment.

More about hospital cover

Going into hospital

Hospital types - and why it matters

Access Gap cover